Saturday, April 23, 2016

Program: The Very Hungry Caterpillar

I did a program recently based on The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. We've had great luck in the past with programs based on a single book, and this one did not disappoint! We had around 20 kids and their adults (which is just about our capacity for a one-librarian program) and everyone had a ton of fun.

First, everyone collected a felt piece from the story as they checked in for the program. There were exactly 25 pieces in the felt set I made, so I ended up placing the 5 oranges and all the kids got to put up their  felt piece:

I was especially fond of my small caterpillar, my big fat caterpillar, and my butterfly:





After the story, we rotated through a few stations:

Making caterpillar hats:
(photo credit and inspiration from Librayland)


Decorating an activity book with various Hungry Caterpillar-themed activity pages from Pinterest


Snack (green grapes and goldfish):
(photo credit and inspiration from The Weekend Homemaker)


Photobooth:
(My own creation, although the model is my coworker, Miss Kaitlin)


This was only a half hour program, and this number of activities seemed just about right. When I submitted this program back in January, I had hoped to do it outside, but we had about 5 inches of snow (in April) so we had to move it indoors. I think we all still had lots of fun, though!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Mini Putt-Putt

The Very Hungry Caterpillar mini golf station at a program earlier this summer was so popular that I decided to make an entire Mini Putt-Put...